Thursday, March 26, 2009

Multitasking At My Best Means Writing and Sleeping At the Same Time"


"I'm so tired, I haven't slept a wink. I'm so-oo tired, my brain is on the blink"...I love how The Beatles take me from one end of the spectrum to the other with this great song. The words are just dragging & dragging, then it revs and boom! I'm slapping at my steering wheel. This is a quintessential analogy of how the need to sleep is both a burden and a beloved pleasure in my world.

Par for moi, I cannot make up my mind. Right now...I really love going night-night. In fact, I would love to crater right this very second. However if I did and kept right on typing...that would too weird, even for me.

You may already be aware of this, but I have been known to fall asleep while typing or writing...or even talking for that matter.

Such a practice may have an impact on what job or jobs I end up pursuing in the near future. (Please see the last blog post titled "My Dream job Was Knitting Caps Out Of Dryer Lint& What Do I Want To Be When I Grow Up?" if you want to give me your opinions of what we are mulling over) Perhaps establishing some controls to prevent "sleep chatting" from ever taking place again would be prudent. I CANNOT allow my alter ego to go on convincing me that there is just no rest for the weary & that going without sleep repeatedly is a necessary evil & that I will eventually catch up, so buck up!

This multitasking oddity might be contrived from having started over too many times in Genesis to the point that I keep re-reading that certain part about "In the beginning" & my prideful self proclaims "I too can do it all in 6 days and then I will rest"! Certainly flawed and certainly not omnipotent, admittedly, I am just a mere mortal, who loves to climb into bed, bone tired at 8:30pm and crash by 9ish! I soooo relish those rare occasions!

But alas, I know me & when I am really focused...I mean HYPERFOCUSED on some crucial undertaking, then sleep is such a pain in my back side & such a waste of my precious time. Nevermind that by being well rested, surely I could increase the quality and production output of whatever will not wait another 6-8ish hours...nevermind that I get loopy & punchy & cannot complete a sentence....there are just those times when I am too excited about what I am doing and CANNOT wait to get back to it. Do I fret about my other responsibilities which are still on my plate...Indeed Not! Whatever I choose to do in my life is only chosen to somehow benefit my entire family, hence everyone of the Christie Chrew pitches in when the radar is on & the sights set. Roses may be trying to "bloom beneath our feet" but the Christie Chrew has a job to do too!

However, reason simply must trump enthused rationale these days in my post 40+years of wisdom & waning immaturity. Because when I hit the wall and start conversing while REM-ing...it is NEVER a good thing. The finished product might be awkwardly funny....but it is a considerable gamble. Please, no one would ever be so foolish as to hire..."Mrs. Needs No Sleep"!

The real genesis of this bad habit started when I was a youngin'. I would lay in bed and chat away with myself and my 2 imaginary friends, Kay & Lori, for hours. Then when I was a teeny-bop, carefully, slyly, I would sneak my light blue princess phone into my bed at night to talk for hours to a fellow teeny~bop, probably Trina, Devon, or Heather, and I was like all "totally gag me with a spoon & groady to the max; wow, that is so rad maybe it's even, like, totally tubular...for sure..." then I'd flatline, wake up to the laughter on the other side of the phone and actually be groadied out to the max from drooling all over myself!

Then once in my twinkies, I was the passenger of a fellow Levi's associate Mary Helen, who was gratefully, the driver. While she was booking to our next stop, I was to pen our findings at the last mall we spiffed and then "Umph, umph, whoa!...what happened?" I woke myself up to my Mary Helen's howling laughter at me, me drooling on her seatbelt & me scribbling all over my very cute chambray sailor britches.

In recent years I have managed to garner a reputation from composing emails that I was awake for when I started typing but not so much by the time I hit "send". This phenomenom has taken place during such stints as the election campaign which I help run for Lisa N. & 2 other school board members; my tenure as Young Women's President at my church & again while dabbling a rhyming diddy for a baby shower invite I created for Chris & Anna L., only to conclude that I must have truly concocted some kind of bizarro invitation because after reading it, Mike S. asked if I had listened to Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" over & over again in my youth.
(BTW, yes to that last question, I still love to listen to that classic release! But not while I am trying to communicate! Good night, I can't have any pudding... I mean I can't concentrate on talking and listening to Pink Floyd at the same time! I know my limitations!)

The picture of the book posted here is proof is another fine example of my talent for muiltitasking by corresponding and catching a few Zzzz's simultaneously.

I gave this exact children's book to my darling Ad (pronounced A.-D.) several years ago. At the time she was our treasured babysitter on a full time basis and she was simply amazing. Kidlet tossing his cookies? No worries if Ad was on the clock. Need dinner cooked? Chef Ad with Le Menu was at my service or even better...she would go through the drive-thru for me with my debit card only to end up paying for the order herself after I gave her the wrong pin #. Sadly, Ad fell short of attaining perfection when she gave my then toddler his very first Diet Dr. Pepper...in his bottle & ruined him. But I digress.

Due to my genuine regard & appreciation for Ad's nanny abilities, I really wanted to cement my impressions of her on the inside cover of this book and present it, with love, that beautiful Christmas morning.

Only...it was already Christmas morning when I began to write.

As best as I can make out from the picture of the inside cover...I wrote the following:

"Just like a fish to the sea I have found myself more and more impressed with your abilities withe our lack on a vehicle...and thaht date were _____________(long pause) you have the "pip" if the day you will need to ask somewart------What????Oh my, I fell asleep. Gotta go-I love you! Leah"

You know I was not in my right mind if I signed something that personal with a salutation other than "LeLe".

Nighty Night!

5 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA!! That was the funniest thing that Christmas morning when AD started to read it out loud and you were wondering what the heck she was reading! Classic!

    PS-I think you feel asleep through parts of this post. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny! I personally thought you never slept, it's good to know the real skinny, it explains a lot! jk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm, AD's treasured nanny status is still intact. It was me who gave said precious child Diet Dr. Pepper in his bottle. It probably has contributed to his cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying to get me back for corrupting your brood; contributing to your own husband's namesake's delinquent charm; throwing your own flesh & blood under the bus by letting her cover for your prescription for getting said toddler to quit crying on the boat. Now you know why you are truly my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!!! that is so funny. Just the other day i was reading to Dustin and started to fall asleep and found that I was adding words that had nothing to do with the story. Dustin was like "why do you keep saying wierd stuff?". :o)

    ReplyDelete