Thursday, March 19, 2009

"What Do I Want To Be When I Grow Up" & "My Dream Business Was Knitting Caps Out Of Dryer Lint"

What to do....what to do....what to do....

My first job as a Flying Monkey Mother is to be the mother I need to be to my 4 monkeys...I mean...my 4 sons. I signed up for my gaggle willingly & I intend to do this job full-time to the best of my abilities.


Stop laughing.


However, after some personal reflections, Kenny & I are satisfied with the reasons to take a leap of faith and take the thought bubble of again being gainfully employed to the next level. My spare time these days is spent at the perpetual job fair that goes on in my head asking myself "What do I want to be when I grow up?"


This ADD thing is kinda cool at times! It has help me come up with a long list of options for us to mull over. Given the way my brain works, I invent stuff constantly or come up with another way to do things. The J.O.B. possibilities are intriguing for someone who as a young girl, knew two of my dream jobs included knitting caps out of dryer lint and making furniture out of whittled landscaping bark.


This particular blog snippet is your golden opportunity to help shape the next chapter in our lives by offering your feedback to my pile of employment ideas by giving me your feedback, no matter what it might be.


What are my talents to offer potential employers and/or customers? I walked away from that chapter of corporate life with a love & firm understanding of:

1.Customer Service

2. Sales

3. Marketing


When it was time to halt my 15 years of retailing that ran the spectrum of production, delivery and point of sales of products, I may have left Levi Strauss & Co. but my skills did not leave me nor did they get put on hiatus. As the last chapter of my life has unfolded, to my surprise, I have applied those 3 acquired tools to some very unique experiences that have come my way since being at home full time. Now, not only do I still love the dynamics of customer service, sales & marketing, these personal strengths have become refined and authenticated in my own real world.


I need to be home-based. Period. It is my schedule that will have to change. My first priorities, all 4 of them....are still my children. The older they get, the more they need me here at home when they are home. Thus, the desire to go into law enforcement is just not realistic.


Stop laughing.


Yes, I need to establish a actual home office ...but I have done it before and I can do it again.

Yes, I may need school for a few of the brainstorms below.

Yes, I realize I will have less time to volunteer. But I know the in & outs of volunteering now and know I can still contribute.

Yes, I know this change would mean less time for my millions of home projects...but the dirty truth is that my home improvement projects demand 2 critical elements to see completion dates: $ for a hired hand(or 2 or 3 or 4) and $ for materials. Watching HGTV and DIY for hours on end only confirms to me constantly that I have the need & ability to create...but I have found no cash in the attic.


HMMMM.......


What I hope you will do is give me some solid feedback either here or via email on my list of ideas for me, Kenny and the my boy chrew to noodle on:

  • Getting into politics (not me in an elected office...but going to work for what I believe in, maybe Glenn Beck needs field support and just does not know it yet!)

  • Looking into positions with The Tomball Chamber of Commerce (I love my town!)

  • Writing on-line newspaper column/magazine complete w/ classifieds

  • Starting a consulting company for parents in school districts....encompassing the education foundation ideas we had to put on ice for TISD this year

  • Starting a customer service consulting firm.

  • Becoming a professional gardener (really...the goal would be a "Master" Gardener)

  • Representing companies whose products I personally love & use

  • Developing an on-line personal gift service

  • Earth Quest Dino Park Marketing (I have 4 boys that think this idea totally rocks!)

Did I leave something out?


Penny for your thoughts!

7 comments:

  1. I laughed about your desire to go into law enforcement. Especially after you said to "stop laughing". I'm picturing that photo of you decked out in your FBI apparel.

    Go with the Dino Park thing, then maybe you can get us in for free all the time. And then when with the extra money you can hire me on full-time as your "nanny" and I could play all day with the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By "grow up" do you mean in a few years when you become a senior citizen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No...I have that part mapped out already. I want to be a greeter at Wallyworld.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take it from me, who has tried to go back to work twice in the last two years and had to quit because of one family reason after another, work on your educational requirements and wait until later. Turn off the HGTV and you will find your to-do list vanishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where was this wisdom when I started remodeling every room in my house at the very same time! 5 years ago! Not that I would have listened....

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really hard to choose because I could see you excelling at each of those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an idea. This is something I've thought of doing, but probably wouldn't act on it any time soon, so I'll share with you instead and maybe you could do it. Basically you help first time parents navigate the baby world. From setting up the nursery and picking which products they want/need to helping find pediatricians to helping them figure out birthing plans and such. You could even help with the transistion of bringing home baby number two and all that goes along with it.

    ReplyDelete