Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"I Love The Word Serendipity, Even Though I Have Problems Spelling It"

Since this is my blog, and since I gave fair warning in the first post, I want to change things up a bit. Actually, I want to copy someones homework, sorda.

My blogs, just like me, are going to be random, in nature. Just quick little snippets to journal for me and my "paterfamilia", & my "progeny" (especially for the "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" cult members like myself) and any other poor soul who stumbles upon my documented silliness.

There may be times, however, when I call "special occasion blog" time, when I give my self permission to write until my hands cramp up or my brain empties completely. I may have frightened some readers with the length of my second post, but hey, it was Inauguration Day and most of the extra celabratory activities of that day went on forever, so who was I to "change" the pace of things? Thus, that post was my first official "SOB".

What?

Anywho, I have a mack truck full of blog ideas and want to pen them down to post but it will need to wait till later tonight.

However, since I am in the "blog" of the moment, I am going to plop the first snippet out.

It's titled....
"I Love The Word, Serendipity.... Even Though I Have Problems Spelling It"

I love the word "serendipity".... even though I have problems spelling it. In fact, I love that cute word so much that I really don't give a rat's tail end that it takes me forever to peck it out and then correct my spelling at least twice. There is a very good chance that "serendipitously" is not even an official word but I think my reason from sentence # 1 applies here too.

Last night offered up one of those serendipitous moments in my increased life. The 5 year old, Kevin, happened to be sitting in his tiny fold-up chair in the dark, frigid (ok,ok,ok, it was only 45 degrees but the feel-like was -3) smoky air on the outskirts of a camp fire at our Cub Scout Pack Meeting held at Spring Creek Park. "Mommy!" he yells out. Now, I am only 3 feet away from Kevin, but it is so dang dark and so dang smoky that he cannot see that I am right there beside him. I stepped over to him and stooped down to his tiny chair and wrapped my blankie around the two of us entirely. "Mommy, are we gonna die?" he blurts out in my ear. That kid just cracks me up and freaks me out all at the same time. I am guessing the jerk-knee change in the weather, combined with the gaggle of wild banshee children from our church running around while wearing their glowing "AstroWorld" bracelets in the pitch dark, along with the roaring fire, and large shadowy silhouettes stumbling around in the murky smoke got to him and he was expressing his fears. Maybe he has been right to maturely stand up for himself and proclaim to his family that the Harry Potter # 5 movie was "too old for me". Now you know what I am doing right, I am snuggled up so close to Kevin I can hear him breathe, both tickled at his sincere question and yet...I am starting to worry over his fears; causing me to debate my past judgements of what I have forced him to be exposed to in his tiny, little world...but not for too long because I sensed a golden opportunity to get us the heck outta dodge!

And who walks up with a roasted marshmallow?

That darling husband of mine. "Bandersnatch, Kenny!" I just about had Kevin poised to load back up in the van, we had come, made our appearance, it was stinkin' cccccccold and Mama was "red ta go" already. Kevin slurped off the melty marshmallow, got all charged up, started lapping around us and took off to join his fellow banshees in their revelry.

Still, it was a sweet little serendipitous moment which Kev and I shared together.

Plus, we did not die, so we've got that working for us.

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe you would scare that cute, little kid by making him watch Harry Potter 5. And giving him things like air soft guns! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to clarify...I am only penning the titles to the snippets...I am not blogging the full scope...kinda like seeing previews...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Word History: We are indebted to the English author Horace Walpole for the word serendipity, which he coined in one of the 3,000 or more letters on which his literary reputation primarily rests. In a letter of January 28, 1754, Walpole says that "this discovery, indeed, is almost of that kind which I call Serendipity, a very expressive word." Walpole formed the word on an old name for Sri Lanka, Serendip. He explained that this name was part of the title of "a silly fairy tale, called The Three Princes of Serendip: as their highnesses traveled, they were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things which they were not in quest of...."

    ReplyDelete
  4. FTR, I owe credit to Carolyn. While reading her post about not liking to blog, she announced what I thought is a fabulous approach to blogging. However, I am adapting the approach to meet my blogging needs. Carolyn, you are a SuperStar!

    Also, to have 2 literary giants of my life such as a Drew and a Carolyn, right at my fingertips is a wannabe writer's dream come true. I am just pinching myself

    ReplyDelete